Total LEIs Issued:
When Lehman Brothers failed in 2008, its counterparties struggled to assess their total exposures to Lehman. Financial regulators were also unclear about the consequences of a Lehman failure in part because no industry-wide standards existed for identifying and linking financial data representing entities or instruments. Standards are needed to produce high-quality data. And high-quality data are essential for effective risk management for financial companies, especially to assess their connections and exposures to other firms and regulatory oversight.
The Legal Entity Identifier, or LEI, is a data standard — like a bar code for precisely identifying parties to financial transactions. The OFR has led the global LEI initiative as it has progressed from conception to full-fledged operational system in just a few years.
The LEI can help the financial industry, regulators, and policymakers trace exposures and connections across the financial system. It also generates efficiencies for financial companies in internal reporting, risk management, and in collecting, cleaning, and aggregating data. In addition, the LEI is expected to ease companies’ regulatory reporting burdens by reducing overlap and duplication with respect to the multiple identifiers reporting firms must manage.
Although the worldwide LEI system reached significant milestones in 2014 as the final components of the governance framework of the LEI system were introduced, only some aspects of financial reporting in the United States and abroad require use of the LEI and these, in substantial part, rely on voluntary implementation. Although these steps have driven LEI adoption across the globe, with approximately 1.5 million LEIs issued to entities in over 220 countries and territories as of September 2019, regulators should mandate the use of the LEI in regulatory reporting. Universal adoption is necessary to bring efficiencies to reporting entities and useful information to the Financial Stability Oversight Council, its member agencies, and other policymakers.
- Trust and the Global Coffeehouse: Digital Verification and the Legal Entity Identifier in a Modern Financial Market (11/4/2019)
- FSB Thematic Peer Review on Implementation of the LEI (5/28/2019)
- Joint McKinsey and GLEIF Report Describes Benefits of the Legal Entity Identifier (11/15/2017)
- Collective Action: Toward Solving a Vexing Problem to Build a Global Infrastructure for Financial Information (2/2/2017)
- LEI Frequently Asked Questions (updated 1/2015)
- Treasury Notes: Applauding Progress on the Global LEI Initiative (1/19/2012)
- OFR Statement on Progress to Date and Next Steps Forward in the Global Initiative to Establish an LEI (8/12/2011)
- OFR Policy Statement on Legal Entity Identifiers (11/30/2010) - Comments
- The Global Legal Entity Identifier Foundation (GLEIF)